Rhubarb is a perennial vegetable that comes into season around January and continues into Autumn.
Here is Wendy Jones' favourite rhubarb recipe which she originally sourced from The Women's Weekly but with a little extra added!
Rhubarb and coconut cake
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1 1/4 cup (275g) caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cup cups (110g) desiccated coconut
- 125 gram butter, melted
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (90g) finely chopped rhubarb
- 2 stalks (125g) rhubarb, extra
- 2 tablespoon demerara sugar
Wendy’s Optional ingredients: Add 1/2 cp of chopped uncrystallised ginger into the mix and chopped pecan or walnut on the top with the rapadura sugar instead of the demerara sugar.
- Preheat oven to moderate (180°C). Grease a deep, 20cm round cake pan. Line base with baking paper.
- Combine flour, sugar and coconut in a medium bowl. Stir in butter, eggs, milk and vanilla until combined
- Spread half the cake mixture into the prepared pan. Scatter chopped rhubarb evenly over cake mixture. Spread remaining batter over rhubarb.
- Cut extra rhubarb into 5cm lengths. Arrange pieces over top of cake, sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 1 hour. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes, turn onto wire rack to cool.