The SAGE Plan 2021
SAGE NSW Inc is a not-for-profit community organisation working with a strong network of supporters, volunteers, growers, food producers and businesses who make up the local food community.
The impacts of climate change impacts in the form of bushfires, floods, droughts, and other disasters highlight the need for a sustainable and resilient local food economy - food grown by local growers, provided to local people, at a fair price.
SAGE creates access to locally grown food. Access which is under threat from globalisation, agribusiness, genetically modified species, and the domination of food distribution by major supermarkets.
To be part of a thriving, resilient and secure local food community.
Our mission is to grow the local fair food community of people who grow, eat, prepare, sell, share, and work with local food. We want to enhance our community’s physical, mental, and social health, and create jobs, business opportunities and connections.
- We care about our land, our growers, our food and our community
- We believe in fairness, kindness, respect, persistence, and action
Our strategic directions
- Secure the future of SAGE NSW Inc
- Strengthen the SAGE volunteer and member community base
- Increase supply and demand of fresh local food
- Provide fresh local food for people in need
- Grow the local food economy through skills, jobs, and business opportunities
To secure the future of SAGE NSW Inc we will:
- Implement a SAGE business plan
- Pursue grants - local, state, federal and NGO
- Communicate the SAGE story and its activities
- Identify and work with partners
To strengthen the sage volunteer and member community we will:
- Review membership
- Strengthen our volunteer network
To increase supply and demand of fresh local food we will:
- Encourage aspiring commercial food producers
- Assist commercial growers create new distribution channels
- Expand distribution to local food outlets
- Optimise the SAGE Farmers Market
- Develop the SAGE catering business
- Deliver education and social events to celebrate local food and cooking
- Increase backyard growing through education and the Veggies for All program
To provide fresh local food for people in need we will:
- Deliver community food programs incorporating volunteers and education.
To grow the local food economy through increased skills, jobs, and business opportunities we will:
- Ensure Stepping Stone Farm becomes finally sustainable
- Grow the Intern Program and provide ongoing support
- Identify and leverage education and business partnerships
- Deliver education activities
- Broker business opportunities including to support former interns
- Publicise the economic benefit of local food